Wednesday 14 September 2011

Some Like It Hot


I know I do.

I've just come back from the South of France, and I already miss it.
I stayed in a gorgeous villa in Provence with my best friend and her family. It was stunning.


How's that for a view?

When we left England it was damn cold. When I arrived in Avignon train station it was very, very hot. And I was still in my wooly tights.  I know, hideous. I almost melted right there on the platform! I consider myself to be a reasonably bright woman, so why I didn't think to change out of them at any point on the journey is beyond me! Well, as they say, 'we live and learn'.

I spent my time eating, resting, going to markets, exploring the mountainsides, eating more food, resting some more... yes, it was beautiful!

 
One night there was an incredible storm- we could see it coming from the distance - big, black clouds charging towards us, it was wild. We had to batten down the hatches and keep ourselves locked away. It was quite exciting and romantic, and reminded me of an angry English winter!

So, here are a few of my outfits from the week... it's a bit of a mix of vintage, designer, and high street.


Who goes on holiday without a kaftan?! Not me. This one is from River Island.

My purchase from Marche de Carpentras. Tasty!

This is a late 1940s, early 1950s bathing suit... definitely for poolside posing only. It is still in amazing condition, it's one of my real treasures. It has a novelty beach scene all over, boned bodice and petal bustline with a bow - cute, huh?

A particularly windswept walk along Avignon river... there was a jet ski contest that day, so at the time this was snapped it sounded like there was a swarm of very loud, angry bees in the distance. This dress is by Shakuhachi and was a present from a friend, it is perfect for summery days, not so perfect for blustery days - more than a few caught an eyeful :-/

Yes, I'm in a French supermarket. Yes, I'm a tourist. What gave it away?

That floral headband made several appearances on this holiday. And that floral playsuit was a Godsend in the heat. I picked it up a couple of years ago from a small boutique in Stoke Newington, North London. I really liked that sunflower, as you can tell.

This was taken on one of our evening walks... I'm wearing a full length cotton crochet dress from Zara. Yes, I've eaten my words about that place - this dress is a dream come true. I bought it for £20 instead of the original £100 too. Bargain.

Oh, and there was a firework display (with cage dancers!)... even though I am a little scared of them (the fireworks, that is) I managed to sit through it all - well worth it!

And that was my last night by the pool.

Ahh... until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.